Saturday, April 12, 2008

Horton Hears a Who

I took the 4 older kids to see Horton Hears a Who on Friday night. We had a good time. It was William's first outing to the movie theater and he did fairly well (which I have to admit surprised me, given his behavior lately). I love watching Ben watching movies (and Spongebob). He laughs his little dimpled head off and gets the subtlest humor (often he and I are the only ones who do). Elijah and Ariana are of course no trouble at all as they are old enough for that to be expected. William had the idea on the way there that he was going to get to watch his trucks movie. He didn't "get" the concept of a movie theater. It was soooo cute though, he heard me talking with the older kids about if they wanted candy or to play games in the arcade they had to bring their own money. I found him by the hutch that I keep their wallets in and he said "Mommy, I'm looking for my allowance." His voice was so tiny and cute and the concept was just darling. (It's fortunate for him that he still has those moments because I am wearing very thin at most times)

When we entered the dark hall leading to the movie and he heard the sounds of it and saw the dark, he got nervous and took my hand, but walked forward. When he turned the corner and saw the screen, it was all over. A true son of Brian. "LOOK AT THAT BIG TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He was fascinated by the red lights on the floor outlining the walking path.

That's the thing about having kids, they remind you that there are neat things almost every where we go, we just get so used to it as adults we forget (not that I thought those red lights were all THAT neat).

He got a little antsy a few times during the movie and got up and walked around but his sister had a fit so I made him stay on my lap and he did fine with that.

The movie itself was cute although animation leaves much to be desired for the lipreading moviegoer.

Following the movie they wanted to waste their money at the arcade (I hate arcades and those expensive games and machines). William chose to play a video game that consisted of turning a steering wheel to pretend to drive a truck. He had a great time and would have kept going forever except, of course, those games last about 30 seconds (plus, he had driven into the crowd and killed everyone).

Ben and Lij got fake eyeballs and stuck them in their faces to great effect.

At present time I'm at work at the VA in the locked cuckoo's nest. I just got an email from Ariana which I will cut and paste below:

Hi mommy william just took a nap and when he woke up he was acting CRAZY

It sounds like things at home are about the same as they were when I left!

This weather has me SO FREAKING ORNERY. Same is true for most people I imagine but I have the unfortunate talent of taking orneriness to a new level. It's an art form that Gillers specialize in. Warm weather is supposed to hit next week and I don't flippin' believe it. I think it's going to snow til my flippin' birthday just to ruin my flippin' life.

On the bright side (there is a tiny one) I shadowed on one of the extended care units at the VA this week (it's a requirement for school--we get to choose our locations). I wasn't looking forward to it because it's long term care and people speak negatively of it; I've also worked in long term care and know there are certain things one expects in those environment. Poop smell is the main one. To my surprise, this place was nothing like I expected. It was very clean and had no smell at all; the veterans were all very nice men, the majority geriatric but not by all means all of them. There were several younger veterans with MS, Huntingtons, and spinal cord injuries. The older guys were mostly pretty cute old farts. One guy had a hook for an arm and I asked him what happened to his real one and he said he left it in the Phillipines during WWII. A real war hero! I got to do some real medical stuff too; lots of med administration and a significant amount of procedures (cathing, nebulizers, dressings). Best of all, I found the staff friendly and fun. I was SO totally not expecting that. So, now I try to get a job on that particular unit, because who knows if I'd be so lucky elsewhere.

Remember the concert that I wasn't allowed to go to? He cried when he got home from school on Thursday because he didn't want to go, and after significant preponderance and consultation, I decided to allow him to stay home. Part of that decision was based on the awful weather (I didn't feel like going anywhere either!) and also that Joanie, who was to be our sitter for the other kids, wanted to get down to the cities to be with her mom for an appointment the next day rather than waiting til morning and chancing being unable to get there. Brian had been awake 24 hours at that point so his caretaking was not a viable option. The relief on Lij's face (on his whole being, actually) was so obvious that I knew right away it was the right decision. Now, understand, I know that we all have to do things we don't want to do, and eventually he is going to have to do this. But I learned something huge about him when I tried forcing him to go to preschool before he was ready. When he isn't ready, it isn't going to do anyone any good. When he is ready, it is so much smoother, and he does so much better. It's entirely possible the throwing up earlier in the week during concert practice was because he was nervous about it.

Not much is new with Ben that I can think of. He is his same old lover boy self. He made me a note that said "I love you mommy" (on toilet paper, with highlighter) and put it in an envelope and wrote (in highlighter) "To mommy fromme Ben". Oh, my precious :)

Ana and I had a spat last night after the movie. Never mind what it was about. But Ana is the quintessential girl with a curl in the middle of her forehead (although, of course, she has no curls). When she is good she is very very good, but when she is bad she is horrid! William's behavior the last month or so has reminded me of her when she was 3. I had totally forgotten what that was like. I guess Lij and Ben had me spoiled that way. Granted, Lij was a total wart (on my hip 24/7) and a crab, but he went to bed great and has never had these massive tantrums. William is throwing tantrums that almost put me to shame. He slams doors and throws things!!! I don't do that anymore, so don't blame me! It's genetics...cursed genetics! For the first time in his life he refuses to stay in his bed and he is an absolute brat about it. He taunts me. I have asked him several times recently where my sweet blonde baby went.

I just hope he will be back some day. Ana came back.

Babycakes continues to think walking is for grown ups, not babies. His football is his favorite toy and he gets jealous if anyone else gets near me. Go figure, I belonged to all of them first and he has the balls to think I belong to him. Fortunately they laugh at him, except William. However, when it's William who needs to be held I will almost always pass Zac off; he is just going to have to suck it up. Wil needs the extra attention right now. The naughtier they are, the more they need to know you still love them.

Well, I'm not going to post again until spring is really here, so check back in August.

1 comment:

serenebalance said...

Spring is here in Faribault. Post.