Saturday, March 29, 2008

My Girl!

Ah, this is so fun. I've waited my whole life for this. I finally have a running buddy right here in my own house!

Brian has been running for a couple months, actually, but we don't run together, because one of us always has to be home with the offspring.

As you know from my earlier post, Ana and Ben are signed up to do a 1k run in April. She has been hard at work training, but I haven't coached her yet. Mostly she and Ben just run up and down the driveway :) So today I decided it was time to try running again myself (haven't since the injury). I am moving gingerly still, and running was very slow and cautious. HOWEVER....it was the first time I've run with Ana and honest to Pete I am VERY impressed! I did NOT expect to be! She has a very smooth, natural gait and a comfortable pace. I kept telling her how impressed I am and how proud I am and she would just grin and keep on running. Her hair flows behind her and she runs very light. I thought she would be a heavy runner (those of you who are runners will know what I mean, there is a difference and it's not about weight). She does take frequent walking breaks which is normal for a kid (I mean, hey, she's EIGHT) but we easily covered a mile. For me that's pathetic, for her it's fantastic. Again, I am thoroughly impressed and really proud of her.

The kids made cards for their cousin Doug a few nights ago and Ben wrote "Doug how are you doing". He continues to blow me away with his smarts. Smart, smart, little Boodie. He also made some special mail for grandma.

You are probably wondering why Doug got cards. 4 years ago when Doug was 28 he had 2 heart attacks (on Easter!). This year, same time of year, 4 years later, he had 2 more. Doug is only 32 and has a very sick heart. He is a big guy, 6' 7", so there is a lot of work for a very damaged heart to do. His mom tells me he is home now and doing pretty well but the next 30 to 60 days are critical. His doctors told him he needs to go on lifelong disability now. His mom's side of the family has a strong history of very early death from cardiovascular accidents caused by a genetic clotting disorder so this has been very frightening for them.

We had Zac's well child check yesterday. Wil and I brought him. Wil was being a pill (Wil the pill) and I told the pediatrician he has been difficult (he meowed when I said that) and she said she sees a lot of that at age 3. I asked her what I can do about it and she said the only cure is 4. haha :)

So anyway, about Zac. He is very, very, tiny. He fell off the growth charts, poor guy. He only weighs 17 pounds, and most of that is probably hair! However, his doc isn't concerned. His brothers were petite (although he is the smallest) and they are shooting up like crabgrass in August (and I'm getting damn tired of fertilizing them every 15 minutes). His development is otherwise on track (he has all the little fine motor things down,and although he isn't walking, he is cruising, and that's considered right on track).

Trudy, are you trying to email me?

No comments: