Friday, December 26, 2008

a wisconsin christmas

This year, for the first time ever, we were in Luck for Christmas eve and Christmas day. As you can imagine, it was a major undertaking getting there. We drove two vehicles so Brian could come back and work Thursday night. The kids and I stayed til today and drove back just in time for me to get to work.

First of all, I have to say the kids were excellent. Very good behavior, even after the threat of Santa not bring presents lost it's usefulness. They were really excited with everything they got. Last night, we went to Grandma Giller's for the Giller Get Together. I mean, the Goddamn Giller Get Together (inside joke, inside joke). Grandma was as usual 6 sheets to the wind before we got there, having spent the day preparing and relying on rum and cokes for sustenence to see her through. Cousin Mike made the Christmas ham and he is quite the chef.

Every single one of my cousins was there, and I havent seen most of them for literally YEARS. A little background. By birth, I'm the oldest of the cousins (Gary was adopted by Dad when he and Mom got married). The next oldest after me is my own brother Hans, who is 5 years younger; then cousin Mike, who is a year younger than Hans. Then nobody for years. Then the girls started coming, and there are Hannah, Hilary, Hailey, Anna, and Britta, who range in age from 25 to 19. Adam is in there somewhere too. The girls are absolutely STUNNING. I'm not kidding. Every last one of them could take your breath away. And there's 36 year old me with 5 kids! Nonetheless, it was fun to see them. I did have my turn to be 20 something, and didn't like it all that much, so I'm not complaining. When the girls were little, arriving for Christmas was like I was Santa himself, because the little girls thought I was so cool way back then. That was because I was nuts (much like now) and played in the basement with them and climbed the rock wall (the wall in grandma's kitchen.....you'll have to wait for the pics to "get it" if you aren't already familiar with it).

We had several group pictures done which I will upload when I am able.

Brian left from there to come back to work, and then I was on my own with the offspring. Fortunately their bestest behavior continued. We went back to Jack and Judy's and stayed up and played.

It was tricky packing up to come home today. We didn't send anything home with Brian when he went, which was stupid--that was part of why we took 2 vehicles. I take that back--we did send two things back with Brian--Minnie and Leo. That was good because they would not have survived tied to the roof of the denali!

As we drove into St Cloud, William decided he needed to pee really bad. It took some time before I found a place to stop, and I needed gas too, so I pulled into a gas station. Wil and Ben got out of the car and I told them to stand on the concrete island while I gassed up. They stood on the other side of the open door and I was reassured by seeing their feet so I didn't worry. When I was done fueling I closed the door and said "OK guys, let's go in and use the potty". William said "I already did".........................................

................turns out he had just taken the lil' buddy out and done the deed right there. Ben thought it was pretty funny, and I'm thinking the Deputy in the car (Elijah) can't have known it was happening or he would have nixed it.

So we went in anyway, because Ben still had to pee and he has the sense to NOT pee in the parking lot of a gas station. We did that and then approached the counter to pay for some gum and treats. They had a display of the material that they use in their car wash, and it was a sheet of soft fabric cut into little 1/4 inch strips. As I paid for our stuff, Ben braided it. He is SO WIERD!!!

No comments: