Saturday, January 17, 2009

a quick check in

My mind is so uncreative at this very moment that I can't even come up with a good title for this entry. How disappointing for readers who have come to expect at LEAST a good title! :)

I'm at work right now (yes, it's OK to do this---the patients are in bed and we are waiting for shift change). Earlier tonight I called home to talk to the kids. The older 3 had gone with Joanie to see James dance in his daughter's dance recital (anticipating a good giggle, which they got) and I wanted to know how it went.

So I go through the kids, oldest to youngest, minus Zac.

Ana and Elijah were breathlessly excited to tell me about a new play they are working on. Elijah wants to know if he can please have his birthday party with grandma at OUR house so they can put on a play for his guests (like he'd be caught dead doing it in front of people). They requested that I purchase T shirt decorating kits for them so their theater troupe (which oddly has the same membership as the previously mentioned SKWDC--Schurman Kids Writing and Drawing Club or something to that effect) can have matching shirts. They also need string for something or other.

Got that out of the way, and moved on to Ben.

"Hi mommy"

"HI BEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"yeah." (yes, you read that right)

"DID YOU HAVE FUN WATCHING JAMES DANCE?"

"yeah."

"DID YOU EAT SUPPER YET?' (grasping as straws---to keep the conversation going a bit)

"yeah."

"OK, Ben, let me talk to William now" (giving up)

"Mommy, when you get home, can you wake us up?"

.....................................................

Then on to the creme de le creme of conversations--Wils.

"Mommy, daddy didn't let me play at Joanie's house."

"Really? How about we talk to Joanie to arrange for you to have a turn to visit at her house."

"Yeah, mommy, BECAUSE DADDY DIDN'T LET ME PLAY AT JOANIE'S HOUSE!"

"Ana said you guys are working on a play. Are you having fun?"

"Yeah, mommy, BECAUSE DADDY DIDN'T LET ME PLAY AT JOANIE'S HOUSE!"

"Yes, that's very sad, I wish you got to play there for a bit but I suppose there just wasn't time."

"It's time to hang up now." (CLICK!)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

The title should have been..."Mommy, Daddy wouldn't let me play at Joanie's house"..LOL!!!