Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ree

She did have a stroke and is at Regions. She also has pneumonia already so that is unnerving as that is what usually takes them at that age. That said, I really don't think this is the semi that's going to have her pushing up daisies (she used that phrase after her aneurysm..haha!). There is a very sad thing in that she is unable to write; she has the most beautiful handwriting. She taught it to third graders for 30 something years! She had me and my mom and our brothers in her classroom. Unfortunately I was one of her failures. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any physical effects; it's all cognitive. Expressive aphasia is the main symptom; she isn't able to name people or objects accurately. With strokes it's so hard to say how much will come back with time; she really could recover quite a bit and I do think she will. It sounds like she won't be able to go back to her apartment for awhile, but that should be OK because Kevin, Kaye, Renee, and Greg, and all of their girls take great care of her and will even let her think she is doing the caretaking. I'm debating making a drive down today to see her as we are all at home, but I have a lower respiratory thing going on and dont want to expose her to any more bugs. Secret confession: I'm dying to see what she would call me.

No comments: