Monday, February 4, 2008

Who's your candidate?

We got back last night from an overnight in Wisconsin for Elijah's grown up party. We had a nice time, especially him! He got awot of dowwars and good toys, books, and clothes, too. He is working on his thank you notes now. We had a special treat in that Gary and Terrie's grandsons were there so we had extra babies to play with. They always comes in handy when people don't want to share!

While we were there, Ariana conducted a poll, asking guests who their candidate is. One caveat: there were no Republican choices. She offered Obama or Hillary. Hillary won her poll. I asked Ana who HER candidate is and she said Hillary, and Elijah likes Hillary too.

The interesting thing here is that Ana really IS interested in history and government. It makes sense she would like politics as well. I am the most UNpolitical animal ever, so I don't know where it comes from except maybe her Godmother, Joanie, who is a diehard Dem. I don't think the two of them talk politics though.

Ana and I were talking about her poll today and she asked an excellent question. She wondered if George Washington was a Republican or Democrat. I told her that those parties weren't around back then, but that we could probably guess what he would have been based on what we know about him. We decided he probably would have been a Republican. She then brought up Abe Lincoln and I told her I think he was probably the first real Democrat (though I'm told at the time he was what was then the Republicans).

All in all a most interesting conversation to have with your EIGHT year old!

We wrapped up the girl scout cookie orders tonight. I asked Elijah if he wanted to buy a box of cookies from his sister and he wrinkled up his brow for a bit before replying "Weww, I WOULD wike some wemon ones." So we ordered him some lemon ones. I think this is a close second to my all time favorite Elijah quote of "I cowwected cwams by the wake"

Ben and Wil had dentist appointments today and Ben did awesome. He is very independent in that respect; he prefers to go in himself rather than be accompanied by a parent. Brian took them, so I wasn't there (I was home with baby, more on that later). William wouldn't let his mouth be pried open. I just now got the whole scoop from the only guy who really knew what was going on, which would be Ben. He said...........William MEOWED AT THE DENTIST!!!!!!!!!

I never thought I'd say this but I'm getting tired of kitties. Tomorrow we again attempt ECFE. I have to decide beforehand what Im going to do if he meows all night again. Let him do it? Or draw a line in the sand? If I draw a line in the sand I can guarantee he'll cross it. With a purr.

While we were in Luck Brian decided to go running (he is on a kick with that lately; I remember he did a few years ago for a couple months and he told people he ran 8 miles a day. Which was a fib). He asked me where a safe place to run in town would be. I was very careful to steer him away from the high crime areas of the city. Actually the high crime area is gone now that DeNuccis 35 Villa is demolished and replaced by the Stop a Sec corporate headquarters. So he wasn't mugged.

The mention of DeNuccis made me think of one more thing. First, I must digress. Gary DeNucci ran the hot spot in the area for years. He was a big wop with gold chains and a crayfish-looking face. He sold out a while back and was retired. Last year his house burned down and the cops found a pile of melted jewelry and a giant burnt marshmallow in his basement, and it was him. OK, it wasn't really a marshmallow, but it gives you the right image.

Jan, mom's cousin who passed away last week, was cremated and her service will be on Ash Wednesday. I know you don't want me to say what you think I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it. Will they use her? I have some of Gramma Mary left, I should try that at home.

Last but not least, an update on baby. He was punky again starting this weekend so I brought him in today and his ear infection is still going on so now he is on Augmentin for 10 days. I'm going to ask for a referral to ENT for him also, just to check things out.

I'd like to close this lengthy post with a poem written by Elijah K. Schurman.

My snowman's name is Elijah
At night he has a party
To make him I put 3 balls together.
I put a hat and a scarf on him
He is so so still
except at night

PS this reminds me of Uncle Hans. When he was a kid he had a rabbit named Hans. Creative fellows, huh?

No comments: