Sunday, February 17, 2008

RIP Little Friend

We have some sad news here. At this point I am the only one who knows besides Ana but I have to go upstairs and break the news to a little boy who will be very sad. Our friend Dumpy has gone to the great pond in the sky. I just found him in his tank resting peacefully in a corner. I have been wondering about him for a few weeks because he hasn't been very interested in his crickets. He was very old for a frog and I'm pretty sure it was just his time to go. Most of you have seen pics of Dumpy or met him in person; he was a really neat guy and an amphibian you could actually get attached to. We will miss him!

I have an intense dislike for society's way of pushing boys to be tough and mean. Elijah is going to be very sad about his special friend (and first pet) and I encourage you to talk to him about it and tell him about your own special memories of long ago pets. I will tell him about Bob, my cat who died when *I* was 7. It was no minor deal by any means and I expect this will be a pretty big deal for Lij as well. My parents took me out of school to tell me that Bob had died! Kinda cool :) Helen Berklund was our long term sub in second grade (because Mr. Brovold, our teacher, had been killed in a car accident early in the year); I remember her taking me aside and telling me something about some animal she had a bazillion gillion years ago. I remember I liked that she said that. So, do talk to Lij even if he tries to act tough.

Being that we are in the middle of winter I am stumped as to how we will appropriately dispose of his remains. A backyard burial would have been perfect. We might have to tell him we brought him to the vet to be cremated or something.

PS You know, we never really knew if Dumpy was a boy. He could have been a she all this time!

PSS I also remember Helen Berklund telling us all kinds of horror stories about children who talked on phones during lightning storms, went swimming after eating, crossed their eyes too long, and more!

No comments: