Saturday, January 19, 2008

the 3 hour shower

That's an exaggeration like most things I say. The story is that Ariana stayed all night at her sleepover and had a great time, but the host family is less than fastidious in their housekeeping. What I'm about to say is really mean, so if you think you might be offfended, stop reading. Otherwise keeping going...haha!

Let me start by saying that I do know the birthday girl's mom from ECFE with one of the boys and she is a very nice lady and seems to be a very loving mom. But, when i stopped by there last night to drop off Ariana's sleeping bag, I was taken back by the condition of their apartment. it was..............for lack of a better word.....................filthy! Oh, my God, when i think my house is dirty I'm talking some scattered toys and maybe a delay in my yearly dusting. This place was gross! The occupants are what we folks back in Luck refer to as dirtballs and what others may think of as white trash. Awful to say, I know, but I'm just being as descriptive as I can. I had my qualms about leaving her there but the family was very nice and Ariana was having a great time so I just made her promise to call if she wanted to come home or have friend's mom shove her in the backdoor of the bakery in the middle of the night (it's happened before, Brian is there and just takes her home replete in her pink pajamas).

Another thing i want to say about the mom (but shouldn't) is that I can understand why she doesn't clean. If she were to get down on her hands and knees I don't think she would get back up again without a Hoyer Lift. You know, one of those situations where instead of asking how tall she is one could ask how many feet wide she is. She won't be vacuuming until Sears comes out with a riding one.

Ana made it through the night just fine and I went to get her at 10 am. Apparently the housekeeper doesn't come on Friday nights because it was virtually unchanged. You know you have a filthy house when you have an 8 year old sleepover and the place doesn't look any different. Anyway she was all chatty and happy and had a great time, but boy....did we have dirt to dish on the way home. First she said she thought someone was murdered in the kitchen. Then she said the bathroom was even WORSE! Then she tells me she told her friend that her house was dirty and they should clean it. At this point I'm cracking up pretty good (think murder, people...the word is funny coming from an 8 year old referring to a kitchen).

We went to the bakery because she wanted coffee because they were awake until 1 in the morning. One of these days I'll explain that decaf doesn't do much for that condition...haha!

When we got home she went and stuffed everything, including her jacket, in the washing machine, and asked for a shower. Now, understand, I have to nag this child to take a shower. Sad but true. But here she is asking for one. She was in that shower til the hot water was gone and went through a lot of shampoo.

I'm so glad to know she doesn't like filth. I'm also kind of proud of her for not judging her friends by what they have or how their family lives. We both agree that we will have that friend over to our house (the poor child will probably want to eat off our floor) instead of her going there again.

1 comment:

serenebalance said...

oh goodness. Makes me think of that BBC show, "HOW CLEAN IS YOUR HOUSE?" Somexxx all of the houses make me gasp in fright.