Saturday, January 26, 2008

They're leaving onnnn a jetplaaaaaannneee

Pretending to! They have the cabin of a 747 set up in the living room and say they are heading to see Grandma in Las Vegas. I thought that was cute.

But let me tell you about my week......it's finally getting almost funny. The day Zac was so sick and went to the hospital, WHILE we were getting him ready to go, Brian went downstairs to do something and saw ceiling tiles collapsing and water pouring through. I saw him run across the kitchen/living room and into the bathroom. He came out in shock. It seems Wils was planning on a bath with mommy (we sometimes put our swimming suits on and have a nice warm bath in the afternoon when I am home with him) and he forgot he had turned the tub on (usually I will tell him to go start our bath). It must have been running for a good hour in the least. There were 2 inches of water in the upstairs bathroom, pouring into our bedroom, soaking the closet carpet, and pouring through the floor to the basement where it collapsed the majority of the ceiling tiles. Let me tell you---------am I glad we went for the hanging ceiling!

So Brian starts grabbing at what little hair he has left; I told him to go get the shop vac and he said it was too late. Well, see, yeah, it's too late to save your ceiling, but you still have to soak up the water! Waiting for it to evaporate didn't sound viable! I ended up shop vaccing up most of the main bathroom so he would have a while to gather his (precious few) wits about him. Then I took of with sick baby and he had to handle the basement, which was quite a bit worse! Even Ana's ceiling collapsed. The furniture, everything..soaked. The carpets just reek. The good news is they needed replacing anyway, so that's not a real big loss. We might even be able to get homeowners insurance to help with that in which case we came out ahead. However........based on the way this week has gone...........I'm just going to assume there is a $20,000 deductible and our premiums will go up just for telling him.

So then I spend the night in the hospital with baby; thankfully he turned out to be OK, that really could have been bad. So don't get me wrong, we know what's really important and are grateful he is OK.

The next day was supposed to be my first day of hospital clinicals for nursing school. They just DRILL into you that you are NEVER to miss a clinical. So I grew 100 gray hairs and an ulcer and then I emailed my instructor and told her I'd try to find someone to hold him (i.e. Charlotte) while I ran downstairs for my clinical in the morning. Fortunately she had more sense than I did and told me to stay put; she said I wouldnt' be able to concentrate on learning anyway with a sick baby up in peds. She said we would make it up later. I REALLY appreciated that!

So Zac goes home and I am able to go the 2nd day of clinicals, which is when you actually work with real patients in the hospital. Keep in mind this is my first time, first day, first everything.

And I get the world's worst patient. Fat old black chick with major attitude, black talk, and NO TEETH!!! You think I could understand her AT ALL? So i grew 100 more gray hairs, reopened the ulcer, and reminded my instructor I won't be working in a hospital. Again, she was gracious about it, and said the patient was just a difficult one and they won't all be that way. Which is good because if they are I'm staying right here in mental health where at least we can give them haldol when they are assholes.

It's not over. We got a $700 propane bill because the cost went up so much and we have a humongous house (which as most of you know I hate for precisely that reason).

Then yesterday Ana came home at 3:00 because of a bad asthma attack. She hasn't had one in a good year. The nurse said it was bad enough to scare her (the nurse) and she was lucky to catch it when she did or it would have been another hospital visit.

There are 4 hours yet til midnight and I'm still sitting on pins and needles.

No comments: