Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Fish

There was no other possible title for this entry. I've been in absentia for a couple days because Ive been busy enjoying the peace and quiet of only 4 kids. Elijah, as you recall, spent the weekend in Wisconsin. He needed a break and so did I :) He had a wonderful time and had his first big ice fishing adventure, with Uncle Hans and Grandpa Jack. And--big news--he caught 2 fish! One of them was smallish (about this big) and one of them, I'm telling you, was a good 4 feet long and had really, really, really, BIG teeth! It is growing although it is cut into little pieces and marinating in my fridge. You should see the little brothers when the oldest and wisest is sharing the details about that fish. Keep in mind that William already has isues with the thought of big fish in the dark with teeth. I don't think this will be helping.

I talked to Lij on the phone when he got back to Grandma's after fishing. I asked him if he had a good time, he said "Yes!". So then I asked him if he talked the whole time. "Yes!" I later asked Grandpa to confirm and he, also, said "Yes!" Grandpa also shared that after the fish was pulled out and left to freeze, Lij kept saying he wanted to "melt" it. I think he meant thaw.....

Brian met Mom in Cambridge this afternoon to retrieve the great adventurer and he has made a grand re-entrance to civilian life, armed with colorful stories of fish and feat. He brought souvenirs for his siblings as mementos of his trip; if I recall correctly from the few minutes I talked to him (they stopped by to see me at the VA) he had fruit snacks and gum for each. He has some concerns about Zac eating the fish because there might be bones in it, but the rest of us will be treated to a fishy feast tomorrow evening.

He also has awot of dowwars, I believe it is now 4 total, which he will be using to buy Hot Wheels for his new cowwection.

Ben has an interesting new project going on. Since heading back to school last Monday he has been working on cutting little circles, about 2 inches in diameter, out of construction paper and gluing them to the wall in the porch, making a straight and long trail all along the wall, around a corner, and continueing on the next wall. He is numbering them and at last check he was on number 73. I asked him how he can count to 73 and he told me "Because I can count to 100!" He was very excited to have his big brother coming home and even cleaned his corner for him.

Now for a Wils story. Remember my New Year's resolution to stop swearing? It might be too late. He was heard muttering as he walked away to put his pajamas on "Oh, allright, G****mn it". Sorry, I know it's awful, and I'm working hard to reverse it, but there is something pretty funny about a blonde angel saying that with a smile on his face. Especially one who looks like me, except blonde and tiny. I told him that I don't swear any more and he shouldn't either.

At work tonight I got an email from Ariana; she was mad at her Dad. I just love her emails. I didn't blame her for being mad, either; she gets mad when he doesn't listen and so do I! The email went like this:

"Hi Mommy, Daddy is really being mean. He wants me to do my homework but I said I have til Thursday and he said I don't care! Then I said I will do it tomorrow!!! and he said if you don't do it tonight i take your money away! I said no! he said alright your fault! Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggg!"

I didn't know she knew about "AAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrgggg!" hahahaha! I don't think he would really take her money away and I disagree with that anyway. I think he really didn't understand that it's not due til Thursday.

Now, about me. I had a date last night for the first time in about 4 years. We had the bakery Christmas party, which we havent been going to. I was so excited to actually get to go out. We had Joanie babysitting for the 4 remaining kids (with Zac in bed right away so more like 3) and the party was right in Cold Spring. I got dressed to the 9s (which I have only done for baptisms in the last 8 years) and was pretty cute if I do say so myself.

And he was too busy checking his blackberry for football scores and going to the bar for replays to pay any attention to the party or anything else. As Ana said.....AAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggg!!!!!!!" At one point I suggested that maybe we should visit a bit since we rarely have the opportunity, so he started talking about Randy Moss. I told him it would be really nice to talk about something other than football. Being the obedient sort he is, he came back with "OK.....Gopher basketball looking better......"

You know the saying, if it weren't for the kids................

No comments: