Thursday, January 17, 2008

dadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadada

Zac has been babbling up a storm and he's pretty funny. He makes tractor sounds with his lips (although of course he isnt trying to be a tractor, just making the sound), does this very wierd "cut cut cut cut cut cut" thing, and otherwise says "dada". ALL. THE. TIME.

So today I had a long and serious talk with him about it. I sat him on my lap facing me and told him that while I understand how much he loves his Dada, he really needs to say Mama once in a while. He listened very well, poking the ocasional tiny index finger into my mouth and going cross eyed with concentration. When I was done with my spiel, he looked into my eyes with great intensity and said....................."Dada?"

Benj took down his entire numberline and alphabet. I was so sad because I didnt even get a picture of it. However-----------when i asked him about it he said "I have to start over." I noticed later that he already has. I am SO calling Mrs. Trimble tomorrow to find out what she is putting in his odd little head.

I spent the afternoon at the school (I was off today). Lij is so nice to spend time at school with. He goes about his activities as he normally would, but he just wants me to sit with him, that's all. He wants me to hold his hand and he likes to be on my lap, some, too, but otherwise he is participating activities and reading time and all that. I couldn't help but notice again how well behaved he is at school. I mean he REALLY is. His teachers are very fond of him.

There is a boy in his class who is very disruptive; Elijah calls him "special needs", which he obviously is; he has a paraprofessional with him all the time and his behavior is really out of control. I feel really sorry for him (and for his para, and Mrs. Tulkki, and the other kids!) because he obviously has some severe issues, but for the first time I also find myself wondering if mainstreaming is going too far. He has no physical disabilities but probably the most severe emotional disturbances I've ever seen. He will literally scream and hit so his para has to hold him down with force and drag him from the room. This happens frequently and I havent yet seen any obvious provocation. Sometimes the other kids get hit, and always their learning is seriously disrupted. Mrs. Tulkki is obviously having a very difficult year because of him, and I feel for her.

I went to visit Ariana for just a minute and that was enough for both of us because any longer and I might have lost control and done something embarrassing. She has her friend Paige's sleepover tomorrow night and is so excited she can hardly bear it. I wonder if she will actually sleep over :) I always HATED sleepovers but thought I had to do them. Because of that I'm careful to ask if she really wants to do it and I make sure she understands she can come home if she gets lonesome.

William is William. What else can I say? He is hilarious and incredibly cute. He also has these tiny little devil horns starting to sprout and a tiny tail a-twitching and nobody can do anything about it because he is so damn cute we can't stay mad and that includes his siblings. Phrases out of his mouth today include "I don't like it when Elijah touches my toys" "I can play with Elijah's toys, yes I can!" "I want what Ben's eating"

I guess that's enough of an update for now. My dog awaits.

TGS

No comments: